Sunday, May 13, 2012
Українська Капеля Бандуристів ім. Тараса Шевченка - Вставай Народе! - Ukrainian Bandurist Chours - Arise ye People!
1. Arise ye people! - Вставай народе! - Lyrics by I. Bahrjany - music by H. Kytasty - soloist Y. Cisaruk
2. A May night - Маєва нічка - lyrics and music by L. Lepky - soloist M. Minsky
3. March of the fallen In battles for freedom) - Марш поляглих - lyrics by I. Bahrjany - music by H. Kytasty
4. Freedom fighter's farewell - Їхав стрілець на війноньку - Lyrics by R. Kupchynsky - music by H. Hajvoronsky - soloist P. Pysarenko (tenor) M. Minsky (baritone)
5. Forward advance! - Вперед! - March of Ukrainian Insurgent Army - Arr. by V. Bozyk
1. Hey! Hey! Hey! We'll make Ukraine gay - Ой у лузі червона калина - Arr. by B. Kudryk
2. Departure - Як стрільці йшли з України - great is the girls sorrow, when the freedom-fighters march away - Music by M. Fomenko - soloist M. Minsky
3. Motherland Ukraine - Вкраїно мати - We have sworn our loyalty to thee - Lyrics by S. Cherkasenko - rewording by D. Petrivsky - music by K. Stetzenko
4. Migrating of the cranes - Чуєш брате мій - Lyrics and music by L. Lepky - final solopart P. Honcharenko
5. March Ukraina - Lyrics by I. Bahrjany - music by H. Kytasty - soloist G. Oryshkewych
Arise ye people! - Вставай народе!
The Ukrainian Bandurists Chorus was organized in Kiev, capital of Ukraine, in 1918, and was dedicated to the memory of the greatest Ukrainian Poet, Taras Shevchenko. It consists of 30 male singers, each of whom plays the Bandura, a national Ukrainian instrument.
The Bandura became a very popular instrument in Ukraine in the 16th century. It has 30 to 60 strings, ranging through five octaves which are plucked by the fingers. The Bandura unifies, to a certain degree, the principles of two instruments, that of the lute and harp. The sound of the Bandura is somewhat emphatic but gentle.
The Ukrainian Bandurists were admitted to the United States as permanent residents. Since 1949, this Chorus has given constant performances in the leading concert halls of the United States, Canada and Western Europe, arousing the greatest enthusiasm wherever is performed.
Hryhory Kytasty, Conductor
Cover by E. Kozak
Distibutor Ukrainian Bandurist Chorus - P.O. Box 119, Hamtramck Br., Detroit, Michigan 48212, U.S.A.